Tuesday, October 19, 2010
Day 5 - The Village
Pre movie I felt like this was a pretty lame "new thing." I was trying to come up with other, bigger and better new things all day. Here's the thing though, by the end of the day about all I had energy for was a movie (kind of exhausted by my weekend packed full of bigger and better new things) so The Village was it. Post movie I feel a little differently. I will be processing The Village for a while. You may need a little personal background in order to understand why this movie was so impressing. I wasn't raised in an actual village with actual walls surrounding it and actual construed monsters to keep me in but to say I was raised in a theoretical village with theoretical walls and theoretical construed monsters to keep me in is not at all a stretch. My parents came from two very different background, my Dad from the inner city and my Mom from suburban Pleasantville, but somehow both come to the same place of dissolution with where society was headed. They wanted to protect their girls from all the evil in the world, my Dad because he knew first hand what that evil looked like and my Mom because she didn't. One feared what he knew the other feared what she did not know. I was first enrolled in a private Christian school and then later home schooled and then home schooled within the confines of an ultra conservative sect. Before you judge too quickly let me just say my parents are fundamentally wonderful people and they will be the first to tell you that, in hindsight, they made some mistakes. And I will be the first to tell you they did the best they could with the information they had at the time. That's the best any of us ever do. We none of us has a crystal ball. We look into the future through the distorted lens of our past and make decisions, some good and some not so good and some down right bad. I had a near idilic childhood, one I've come to be deeply greatful for. I had a near completely sheltered childhood, one I resented for all of my late teens and early 20's. When I was 19 I busted through the fear and climbed the walls into the big bad real world and didn't look back for several years. My forest was the sinful world...and it's now 1am and I think I've lost the capacity for coherent thought so I will finish this tomorrow ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment