Thursday, October 7, 2010

One week from today...

Marks the anniversary of my 21st Birthday (which I don't really remember, unfortunately more because it was 10 years ago than because it was memorable if I could remember it ;). I wanted to do something big last year for the big 3 0 but I think just the fact that I was leaving my 20's behind was big enough so I didn't run a marathon (although I did try and train for one...again) and I didn't climb Everest (or any other mountain for that matter) and I didn't jump out of an airplane (I did that somewhere around 26 anyway). Instead I began to cultivate, what was for me, a very new philosophy on how I would live my life. I began to take each day as it arrived. I stopped planning out my future in minute detail and stopped measuring my success against the time line for success in my head that told me where I was supposed to be and what I was supposed to have accomplish by milestones like 30.

This is where I get a bit gooshy so skip to the next paragraph if you're anxious to get to the point. You see the last ten years have been fabulous for me. I've had lots of successes that I'm really proud of like finally finishing a degree and all the things I've done with fitness. I've experienced so many amazing things like learning to ride a motorcycle, travelling to Japan, living in Alaska, and meeting more wonderful people than I can even begin to name. But there have been the inevitable mistakes along the way. There's the five years I spent estranged from my family that I will never get back and there are the two marriages and subsequent divorces, both of which left me feeling altogether not together, which deducted a lot of time in emotional rehabilitation. However, all of these experiences have helped shape me into the person I am today and, you know, I kind of like that person.

Okay so getting to the promised point. I have been trying to figure out what to do for 31, as it looms out there in the not so distant future, and decided I wanted to do something new. Then I thought why not make a year of it? Why not attempt to do or try something I've never done or tried every day for the next year? Of course the "why not" reasoning has gotten me into serious trouble in the past (like the two afore mentioned marriages ;) but somehow I think this time the risk of trouble is low or at least not likely to have long term emotional consequences. I've adopted the life motto of While Alive Live and this little endeavor seems to go along quite well.

While I have some pretty great ideas for the first few days, I have a feeling that I may need suggestions. Coming up with something new to do every single day for 365 days might get...err, difficult...possibly. That's where you all come in, I need you to suggest away and I will do my best to give you daily updates on my progress. Here goes nothing! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment